Façade Improvement Program
Downtown Charlottetown Inc (DCI) is now accepting grant applications for the 2017 Façade Improvement Program. DCI will be awarding a total of $25,000 in façade enhancements to commercial property owners and business owners within the Business Improvement Area (BIA). Under the program, successful applicants are eligible to receive 50% of cost of their façade improvement project(s) their cost (excluding HST) up to a maximum of $3,000. The program was created to provide assistance to commercial property owners and business owners in renovating, improving and restoring the façades of the buildings that make up the street scape character of our downtown. Eligible façade improvements may include but are not limited to; exterior architectural and decorative details, landscaping, signage, security, lighting and more. DCI encourages all commercial property owners and business owners within the BIA who are considering upgrading the exterior of their property to view grant application.
Located in the heart of Charlottetown’s historic Downtown, DCI serves a 16 block area of 400 plus members. We are dedicated to sustain and encouraging growth and prosperity in the downtown and continue to be proactive in delivering programs that strive to make downtown a clean, safe, attractive, vibrant place to live, work, plan and invest.
- This Program is designed to provide commercial property owners/tenants, the incentive to invest in the continued revitalization of our downtown by providing financial assistance for façade improvements to your property. Results benefits – increased aesthetic appeal and property value, making an important contribution to the overall revitalization of the Downtown.
- To improve the overall attractiveness of the streetscape of the BIA
- To build and reinforce a greater sense of community in the downtown
- All DCI Levy paying commercial property owners and their tenants located within the Business Improvement Area (BIA)
- Tenants must have a letter of approval from property owner
Facades are defined as
- The outside wall, which border on a street, parking lot, walkway or public alleyway. Facades that border on narrow corridors between buildings or that will have a structure constructed along that façade in the future are not eligible to receive assistance.
- Improvements to exterior architectural and decorative details, painting, siding, windows, doors, awning, lighting, landscaping, steps, reconstructions, accessibility and signage. This list is not all encompassing; other modifications may be considered.
- Successful applicants are eligible to receive 50% of their improvement costs, excluding HST, up to a maximum of $3000.
- DCI will review application s on a first come first serve bases. Funds will be distributed until the 2017 budget allocations has been depleted, at which point no new applicants will be accepted.
- A completed and signed application form along with all supporting documents including;
- Detailed Project Description
- Photo or drawing of current conditions
- Drawing of Proposed Improvements
- Written quotes from certified Contractor(s)
- Scan and email, drop off or mail to DCI office application package; email@example.com
- Upon review and approval a letter of agreement will be issued detailing terms and conditions and amount of funding approved.
- Payment of claims will be contingent upon;
- work completion,
- submission of detailed Claim Form (provided with letter of agreement)
- copies of all invoices and cancelled cheques
- photos of Completed project/façade
- Completion deadline of Oct 31st, 2017 is firm and no Claim form will be accepted or approved funds released after November 15th 2017.
- Applicants must receive required building permits, heritage and design approval from the City of Charlottetown.
- Applicants are required to provide a progress report at 80% completing on the project
- Submission of all completed application form with supporting documentation does not guarantee the applicant acceptance into the program